Some help?

District 38 off road events and other related topics.

Moderator: District 38

Some help?

Postby jay61974 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Got my subscription to our local Offroad magazine s&s Offroad there wasn't one thing about dist 38 anywhere
So I emailed them about it and they said that if someone would send in results and a article they would be happy to print it!
We are always talking about growing,attracting more people. I think having results and some pictures of our races in our local Offroad magazine would be a good place to start.
So here's a call out to anyone that would like to help,We have sometime before the next race... Any takers?

Thanks 44v
jay61974

Re: Some help?

Postby aidave » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:11 pm

How About you? All we need is someone to step up. In life there are people who do things, and people who say sombody should do things.
You can be the first...
I think it would be great if we had a District 38 communications Officer.....
Dave7m
aidave

Postby mark » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:38 pm

That was my dream after retirement... now I'm too far away from the action. Craiglist ad : Volunteer Journalist wanted.. ABSOLUTELY no experience necessary. To report on Off-road motorcycle racing in Imperial Valley.
Racers could help out a young collage student by providing transportation to the events. She/ he could write about the personalities, machines,results ect... just imagine her first interveiw with Carey Lincoln caught on someones Go Pro :shock: an instant viral Youtube sensation.. and a start of an illustrious career for the right person :lol: 56M
mark

Postby upinya racing » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:24 pm

Dave7m[/quote]

Great idea Dave :lol:
upinya racing

Postby jay61974 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:01 pm

aidave wrote:How About you? All we need is someone to step up. In life there are people who do things, and people who say sombody should do things.
You can be the first...
Dave7m

That's the point.. I'm planning on doing something. Just wanted to know if anyone would also like to contribute.
And Dave7m by writing that insightful response you have truley done enough... Thank you :roll:
jay61974

Postby diamond-dave » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:08 pm

You just happened to catch a copy between events is all, S&S Offroad does put things in there about out races but yes as D38 we maybe should advertise in there more about racing and schedules along with getting them articles/pics of our events. That could be discussed easily via email through the Comp Committee. It would be great if we did have a communications officer but at this time we do not as several do wear many hats and some items do fall out unfortunately with so much going on for all in their lives. I am not saying anyone is not doing their job or a bad job, I am only saying there is always room for improvement but at times finding that room is impossible with so many spread thin as it is.

Luke Kimball was trying to help out with this last year as a volunteer on Facebook and with sending things to S&S but with him not racing this too has become a void both in reports and on the course banging bars. I have friends that do this professionally for Dirt Rider, Dirt Bike and Motorcyclists Magazine but hard to get them to cover our races unless we have enough notice or a special event that we could try to pull them into as we need something to lure them down our way from the LA area. Since even as a profession most still need to maintain a 2nd job to cover the bills, so you can see many do have to wear many hats in life.

Since it is a tough thing to have someone do maybe spread it around and have an author of the month or author of an event submit an article. By doing this it could help the burden of availability and also get a chance for others to step up and help. We have the same thing when it comes to taking pictures at events. We have a lot of talented people that have supported D38 over the years but they basically are taking pics for free since not many are buying them. So those are tough costs to swallow to make it to all the events with no guarantee on a return on investment. Yes I know there is no film costs these days unless you print the data but the desert dirt and dust takes a toll on the fine equipment they use.

So we need people to team up, an article isn’t much good without pictures… Although clipping images out of some of Todd’s videos have created some great stills… As I’ve sat and worked some races it would be great to also cover things from not only on the course but at checkpoints and the things that go on there. We can make this happen just need people to step up… I wouldn’t mind doing one but my imagination isn’t as good or colorful as some of the other talented people we have out there… I am truly old and slow :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Mark, I have a chair with your name on it on the course, I can bring an ice chest, camera and dictaphone :lol:

Anyone interested in stepping up for an event or 2? We have 6 more races this season in D38 and that actually means 8 motos with FT Desert Cross and RR Christmas Classic (solo/team) events.

David Kendrick
Roadrunner Off Road Racing
#61m 2014 AMA D38 "10s"
2012-15 AMA D38 Super Senior "M" Class Steward
2012-15 AMA D38 Congressman - Competition Committee
#340 2011-12 BITD
#N300 2014 AMA National H&H (2013 4th 50+B)
diamond-dave

Postby jay61974 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:20 pm

diamond-dave wrote:You just happened to catch a copy between events is all, S&S Offroad does put things in there about out races but yes as D38 we maybe should advertise in there more about racing and schedules along with getting them articles/pics of our events. That could be discussed easily via email through the Comp Committee. It would be great if we did have a communications officer but at this time we do not as several do wear many hats and some items do fall out unfortunately with so much going on for all in their lives. I am not saying anyone is not doing their job or a bad job, I am only saying there is always room for improvement but at times finding that room is impossible with so many spread thin as it is.

Luke Kimball was trying to help out with this last year as a volunteer on Facebook and with sending things to S&S but with him not racing this too has become a void both in reports and on the course banging bars. I have friends that do this professionally for Dirt Rider, Dirt Bike and Motorcyclists Magazine but hard to get them to cover our races unless we have enough notice or a special event that we could try to pull them into as we need something to lure them down our way from the LA area. Since even as a profession most still need to maintain a 2nd job to cover the bills, so you can see many do have to wear many hats in life.

Since it is a tough thing to have someone do maybe spread it around and have an author of the month or author of an event submit an article. By doing this it could help the burden of availability and also get a chance for others to step up and help. We have the same thing when it comes to taking pictures at events. We have a lot of talented people that have supported D38 over the years but they basically are taking pics for free since not many are buying them. So those are tough costs to swallow to make it to all the events with no guarantee on a return on investment. Yes I know there is no film costs these days unless you print the data but the desert dirt and dust takes a toll on the fine equipment they use.

So we need people to team up, an article isn’t much good without pictures… Although clipping images out of some of Todd’s videos have created some great stills… As I’ve sat and worked some races it would be great to also cover things from not only on the course but at checkpoints and the things that go on there. We can make this happen just need people to step up… I wouldn’t mind doing one but my imagination isn’t as good or colorful as some of the other talented people we have out there… I am truly old and slow :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Mark, I have a chair with your name on it on the course, I can bring an ice chest, camera and dictaphone :lol:

Anyone interested in stepping up for an event or 2? We have 6 more races this season in D38 and that actually means 8 motos with FT Desert Cross and RR Christmas Classic (solo/team) events.
Thank you Dave ... Exactly what I was trying to get at with the post!!
jay61974

Postby rayzee2000 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Great ideas everyone...I am sure the race news would in fact be helpful, we have talked at meetings in the past about some way to increase ridership...I had always thought and then also heard Randy Engen suggest that we form a email list...Every race that I have ever went to outside D-38 has come from an email sent directly to me...I did not have to buy a paper, find a paper or go to Moto World for a flyer to find about about the race...A miracle would happen...The miracle was the fact that it came right to my doorstep called an inbox...Not only did it come a month or so in advance, it also came several times to remind me...My race yesterday at Barona with the CALVMX gang/Marty Tripes/ Scott Burnworth and all those old pros had an email that I got at least 4 times before the actual event...

There are many ways to get where your going and I would like to help on this one in particular...My email is rayzee2000@hotmail.com....mail the list to 9921 Carmel Mt Rd #289 San Diego Ca.92129 (my business address).Any club that sends me emails will eventually see those emails combined together on a list that can be used for there upcoming events...I will not have a deadline for that list, but will volunteer to log in a few emails a night until this list is formed...Facebook is great, S&S is fine, but dollar for dollar I would bet my entire million bucks on the email list and I hate it when I drop below a million :D

When I was young I went to a party...All the great looking women and friends kept coming in the front door when they arrived...I noticed as people decided to leave they went out the back door quietly...After several hours of hardcore crazy dancing on the table type stuff the room began to slowly empty until all the people were finally gone...Moral of my story is this...If all us old dudes eventually fade away with injury, lack of funds and old age it is not really a problem as long as more people are coming in the front door than going out the back door...

z2m wished I could have raced that number a little more this year! I'll wait for the list to come in... :)
rayzee2000

Postby upinya racing » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:09 am

Yeah Barona CALVMX was a good time. The races were delayed because they had over 300 entries.
The race was on Saturday.
They don't have a mototally (Which they need lol) and they are not part of AMA.
They had a ton of guys show up from AZ.
Their paying to camp, travel long distances.
They even had a sidecar racing out there.
They usually have most of their events at Caulilla, which is the same track over and over and the turnout is still good.
Free bbq and beer.. Jello shots. music
Smoking hot chick in a very short skirt starting the races. I have pics ha ha
Im sure that they have a fat bank acct.
I think they Advertise, S&S Off Roader, social media, email, posters,fliers,stickers, tshirts, Flags, keychains, pens, THEY PROMOTE THEIR CLUB !!!!!!!

If we have a small turnout at a D38 race it's only the clubs fault. Its not the economy ,the price of gas or the distance to get there.. It's like Ray said it's about getting new fresh customers all the time, every time !!!!!!!!!!

If every club had a great turnouts frustrations would be low, and the fun factor would be high.
If there is anyone new that is reading this,, It takes a lot for a club to put on a desert race,, you have no idea,,, and to have a low turnout is like getting kicked nuts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Twice!!

What do you think Ray? :D
upinya racing

Postby kniemela » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:23 am

We are working on an e-mail list as I type this.

Kim
kniemela

Postby rayzee2000 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:15 pm

kniemela wrote:We are working on an e-mail list as I type this.

Kim

Kim, that is awesome....I have a list that Rich sent over to me from I-8...Do you want that list sent to you or do you need any help...If so let me know...I also am pretty sure that TNR & PIF has a list that has not been merged together yet...I know this is not an easy task and hope I can help in some way...I also would like to take this one step further after our basic list is formed, and ask all district riders to submit 3 friends email addresses that they know for sure have a offroad motorcycle...I know this will create a whole lot of work, but from our basic list we should be able to reach 3X that many more possible individuals who can pass the word about a upcoming race event...

As Rich stated in the above post, people are going to races and they are traveling long distances and they are spending money...I dropped 95.00 that day just to ride 5 motos and could only physically ride 4...We have to have kids get involved as that is our future..We have to have campfire get togethers because people like to be a part of something, and we have to make the courses fun, safe and interesting to make people want to keep coming back for more...

I only express these thoughts to make D38 hit a surge of growth...At least these are my hopes... I would like to make one more recommendation...Could our clubs consider adding some alternate classes for the rider who is of a different mindset...For example: maybe a cruiser class for a rider who wants to go run the course and see it but not be so competitive..Like a Father & Son to say they were in an event, but know that no harm will come to them at the speed they plan to travel...kinda like a look see beginner ride...maybe 1 lap 25.00...Also I was thinking of a Vintage desert class...Pre 74...Pre 79....Pre 89...Pre 95...something like that to see if anyone from the past will break out that old bike and take her for a 2 lap ride or 1 lap...Just a thought...I really believe that if we ever see Kirk Hester, or any of the past desert champions and riders back on their bikes, we will know that we are making ground...The race event although very competitive for many, could also be a day to go ride a tough course with their friends and keep their speed to a minimum..Let me know how I can help...If these ideas do not work, I surely know that a ride day in the superstition region with a donation fee of say 25.00 would bring in riders on the weekends to get some workout time and follow some of the more experienced racers through various terrain..Kinda like the ride that Dave goes on with Malcolm Smith but more local ...The money could be used for district purposes....thanks for listening...

z2m
rayzee2000

Postby upinya racing » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:56 pm

Don't forget the Race Team Manager from NCY,, he told me if there was anything he could do to help us out, to give him a ring... I forget the guys name but he runs the race team and he would and has put stuff up on their website for us.
upinya racing

Postby 4Traxquadracer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:40 am

[...The money could be used for district purposes....thanks for listening...z2m[/quote]

Ray,

What do you think about taking the open race date (February 9th) and do a race for generating funds for the district like we do with the charity G.P.? Just a thought. :D Make it a format such as you suggested and make it a fun day for all.
Kevin Palmer
4traxquadracer@gmail.com.

ELKA, Wheeler Family Chiropractic http://www.wheelerfamilychiro.com/
4Traxquadracer

Postby rayzee2000 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 am

4Traxquadracer wrote:[...The money could be used for district purposes....thanks for listening...z2m

Ray,

What do you think about taking the open race date (February 9th) and do a race for generating funds for the district like we do with the charity G.P.? Just a thought. :D Make it a format such as you suggested and make it a fun day for all.[/quote]

It could work....I know that I am suppose to go to a ranch near Tacate this Sat., pay 60.00 for a 50 mile ride through single track...It is being done with Los Ancianos and other groups as well...I have the PIF event, also have 2 TNR events and a business to run...I am tapped out...I think being involved in one more race a year would push me over the edge...But I do think the thought would work, I just cannot be the one who sets it up...

z2m :)
rayzee2000

Postby George Ryan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:10 am

Ray lets talk about this at our meeting next week. George Ryan 5R
"OLD GUYS RULE"
George Ryan

Next

Return to Off Road Division